Friday, November 9, 2007

Complaining In The Wilderness

I'm such an Israelite!
Just in my last blog I was singing God's praises for the miraculous work that He has done in my heart and recently in Mark's. I was giving Him all the credit and all the glory for the way He is able to change people, arrange circumstances and truly make a difference in the lives of His creation. My faith was at an all time high as I could testify to the power of God's holy spirit in my very own life.
It wasn't but just a couple of days later that I was pouting, arms crossed, lips all puffed out and a sour attitude. Things weren't going as I was hoping they would. It's been a couple of months now that Mark hasn't been working, and I just can't understand why he isn't getting the jobs he's gone after. He's brilliant, successful, hard working and never had an issue getting a job. I found myself having conversations with God that sounded a lot like "Why God? Why are you doing this to us? Why isn't he getting a job? What are we supposed to do? Where are you in all of this? What is your solution? Your answer? Your plan? Is there something that you want us to learn here? Some big "ah ha!" that we are supposed to see? Can you please reveal it to me? Let's get this learning and growing this over with....quick!"
Yep, sound familiar? Just like the Israelites that we read about in Exodus and condemn for such a rotten attitude after all that God had done for them. Here He had lead them safely out of Egypt, out of years and years of slavery, performed miracle after miracle right before their eyes, protected them, saved them, rescued them, and proven himself trustworthy and reliable. They safely got to the other side of the Red Sea, had a huge time of worship where they sang songs to the Lord and proclaimed Him triumphant, powerful, majestic and glorious. Then what happens, they have a few hard days in the wilderness without food and begin to wonder if the Lord will provide for them. They start grumbling, crying out, complaining and doubting. And let's not forget, they do this, only to be embarrassed when God provides them with an abundance of food.
I know that I too will be embarrassed. (i hope sooner rather than later!) I know that God has a plan for my family, that He already has every last detail worked out, that He has our very best interest in mind, that He has something so wonderful up His sleeve, more wonderful than we could plan on our own. Our challenge now is to just trust Him. We have to hang on to those miraculous things that He has done for us in the past and know that He again will prove victorious.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

About two years ago, we moved out to Virginia from Ohio+Michigan but still had a house to sell in Ohio. It took somewhere around 9/10 months for it to sell, and boy did I feel the way you just described. I knew I shouldn't feel that way, but sometimes did quite a bit. In the end it did sell (friends of ours down the street who were trying to sell theirs happened to mention our house which was a little lower in costs and said ours is nearly identical to theirs). We changed realtors, visited and did all this cosmetic work to the house hoping ANYTHING would make the difference for just one buyer, but none did.

Trusting in God alone sure can be hard. I sometimes wonder when I struggle with bigger things to trust in him that He gives me smaller things that I can trust in him for, so that as I grow, I may be able to trust him in bigger ways.

By the way, I'm not sure if you'd be interested in participating, but I was tagged for writing on the topic of What would Jesus Say - to me? and I tagged you (I enjoy your blog) in case you might be interested.