Tuesday, September 11, 2007

WWJD

Yesterday Mark's cousin called me. She asked me to babysit her little boy on Wednesday because she has to go to court, and she has no one else to take care of him. I was reluctant because not only do I have my own two munchkins to take care of, but I've been registered to start this great, intensive Community Bible Study that morning. I've been signed up for months and am so anxious to start the class.
I found myself in a tough situation....I should help her, but I'm really spread thin with my own two kids, but I should help her, but I really want to start this Bible study, but I should help her, but, but, but...
I thought to myself, as I do many times when I am trying to navigate through a decision...WHAT WOULD JESUS DO?
So, I agreed to watch her son. Right away I was proud of myself for making the "right choice."
But I quickly became kind of bugged and resentful and not too thrilled about what I was giving up in order to help her.
And so I thought to myself again....WHAT WOULD JESUS DO?
It's not that he would just choose to serve, but he would do it humbly, with a happy heart, not feeling proud and puffed up about it because he was doing the "right" thing, but he would simply do it out of love.
I am trying, really trying, to have that kind of heart, as I serve my family out of love. It's easier to make the "right choice" because you know that's the action Jesus would take. It's much harder to follow through and do it, heart and all, like Jesus would.

No comments: