Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The Side Effects Of A Strict Training Program

I am training for the Carlsbad Half Marathon. I get up at 5:00am, 6 days a week and workout. 4 of the days I run and 2 of the days I cross train, doing the elliptical machine and weights. I enjoy having a schedule like this to follow, a routine to rely on. I am feeling accomplished and healthy and quite proud of myself.
I am also eating really healthy, mostly whole, organic foods, lots of protein and fruits and veggies and a ton of water. I have to properly nourish my body to sustain this level of energy and I have definitely noticed a difference in how I feel.
The other morning I was down on the floor, working my abs, my legs were extended up in the air. I looked down and noticed how much more firm and strong my legs looked. Wow, awesome! And I have also began to notice that my pants are loose. Sweet! For the first time I wasn't exactly trying to lose weight or diet, but the side effects of being focused on a healthy exercise goal were that my body just naturally starting shaping up.
I realized it's very similar to what has happened to me as I have become a committed Christian and student of the Bible. I follow a pretty strict routine in that respect too, attending church on Sundays, 2 Bible studies a week, leading the 10th and 11th grade girls, and spending quiet time reading and praying about 5 days a week.
I can't say that I can remember a specific time when I noticed a change in my "spiritual shape," but I have definitely shaped up. And really, this is the first time that I wasn't exactly trying to change things about myself or improve certain qualities, but the side effects of being focused on the Lord and in studying His word were that my heart and soul just naturally started shaping up.
And neither of these improvements came without sweat and tears! The marathon workouts have been hard for me and the long runs are getting longer and harder. I nearly stopped in the middle of a run the other day in tears because I had just run up a hill (mountain!!) that nearly killed me and I was feeling tired, weak and incapable of being able to complete a marathon someday. But I pushed on and there came the downhill part and I recovered and finished the run with a smile.
Similarly, giving my life to Christ has not been all easy. As I read the Bible and learn more about God and Jesus, it's like a mirror. I began to see my reflection and all of the ugliness about me that was so covered up and hidden. I was forced to really take an honest inventory of my life, my priorities, my words and actions and deeds. And sometimes my faith in God was a struggle and I wanted to just close the Book and forget about it. But during those time I would give those doubts and fears and anxieties over to God, he would somehow calm me, and I have since come a long, long way. I know that I will finish this journey with a smile too!

No comments: