Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Today's Call: Bread

God works in amazing ways, it's awesome! After writing the entry this morning on God's call being wherever there is a need, God put a need right in front of me.
Mark is serving on jury duty today, so the girls and I went to meet him for lunch during his break. As we were sitting out on the lovely patio and "Pat and Oscar's" chowing down on our delicious breadsticks, salad, ribs and chicken, I noticed a man standing about 20 yards away, asking people for money as they left the restaurant.
So I approached him. I asked what it was he needed, he said "I'm hungry." I went inside, got an extra plate, some silverware, a big glass of water, and filled up the plate with several breadsticks, salad and my chicken. I invited him to sit at the table next to ours and eat. He excitedly accepted.
Now, I have always had the heart that made me do stuff like this, So coming to know God hasn't transformed me into a "giver." But this time was different, because when I placed the meal in front of him I leaned in close, put my hand on his shoulder, looked him in the eye and said "God bless you." I wanted him to know that I was doing this in the name of God, because I wanted him to know that God loved him and I was just his humble servant fulfilling my call to reach out and love my neighbor. And I wanted him to know that he too could, if he didn't already, be in close relationship with the God that moves people to service and generosity. Because we can feed hungry people breadsticks all day long, but God is the true source of nourishment and the real "bread of life."
"I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me has eternal life. Yes, I am the bread of life!...I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Anyone who eats this bread will live forever."
-John 6:47-51

No comments: