Tuesday, April 1, 2008

A Real Life Lesson

I had to do something terrible today....I had to teach my young daughters about the "real world."
I have become friends with a homeless woman, Pamela, who spends most of her time down by the pier in San Clemente. I have been meeting her down there once or twice a week, bringing her food, money, a bus pass, lists of resources for shelter and health care and found her some good mental health services, I brought her a good Christian book and today I took her an art notebook and some colored pencils because she loves to draw. I am trying to do what I can to help meet some of her needs, and mostly just trying to be her friend, praying for and just caring about her.
I dropped my girls off at a friends house today so I could go spend some time with Pamela at the beach. After I picked my girls up they began asking all sorts of questions about her in the car on the way home. My conversation with my 4 1/2 year old daughter went something like this:
Katelyn: Where does Pamela live?
Me: She lives on the streets honey, she doesn't have a home.
K: Why doesn't she have a home?
M: Well, her brain is sick honey and so it's hard for her to work, and so she doesn't have any money to pay for a home.
K: She can come live with us!
M: That's so sweet, but it wouldn't be safe for us to have her live with us because she is sick and sometimes she gets really grumpy and can be kinda mean.
K: Where does she keep all her clothes?
M: She only has one outfit, so just wears it all the time..
K: Doesn't she have any pj's?
M: No.
K: We should get her some pj's!
M: That would be nice, but she doesn't have anywhere to keep that kind of stuff.
K: We could get her some drawers.
M: But honey, she doesn't have a house to keep the drawers in.
K: We should make her a house. We could ask some of those guys that make houses to make her one.
M: Houses cost a lot of money to make honey, and we don't have the money to make her one.
K: What should we do?
M: Well, we should continue to be her friend and help her as much as we can and pray for her safety and health.
K: Okay, we'll pray for her everyday!

No comments: