Thursday, August 23, 2007

I Got Stumped!

My mom and I spent a lovely morning together today. We started off with a nice long walk along San Clemente's beach trail. We were having a great conversation and debate about the influence that following God might have in my family as I raise my kids. My brother and I were not raised with a church influence, and if I am being completely honest....we turned out pretty darn good. My parents did an amazing job of raising us to be bright, confident, independent, secure, good natured people. There was always a very open and honest flow of conversation going in our home, where no topic was off limits. My parents made sure that we felt comfortable talking about anything and everything with them, and I am certain that is one of reasons that my brother and I turned out the way we did. Sure, we made mistakes, we did get a little crazy in high school and college, but we were good students, we were leaders, and were well mannered, respectful and responsible kids. My mom and I talked about some of the poor choices that I made in my younger years, and she assured me that she thought those experiences were good for me. I agree that I got through it all okay, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't change one thing about my past. But I worry about raising my kids to make the right choices in dealing with peer pressures, under age drinking, premarital sex, etc. The question my mother posed to me this morning was something like "If you agree that we did a great job of raising you, even without God, then what difference will God make in the raising of your kids? How will having God make it any better? How will you encourage open communication, where your kids will feel free to come to you with questions, problems, dilemmas about peer pressure while telling them not to do things because God says it's wrong? Will you just tell your kids what not to do because it's what the Bible says?"
I said something like this...."uh...um....duh....er!" That question caught me off guard, and challenged me to really think. It was a great conversation and one that I needed.
This is what was in my heart, but for some reason I couldn't get up and out of my mouth... I love God and I want to teach my kids to love God! I believe that He should be of the utmost importance in our home. I want to teach them how wonderful and loving and gracious and perfect He is. I want them to know Him and seek Him. I believe that He knows everything, that He has a great plan for us, that we can trust that His commandments and instructions for our life are in our best interest. I believe that we can trust His word, that if we strive to be more like Him, by following Him and obeying Him, that we will have lives full of peace, love, goodness and blessings. I am in love with Jesus, I think He is fantastic and out of my devotion and respect for Him I want to please Him, to be more like Him, to live my life as a great example of the difference that He has made in me. I hope that my life will be a good example for my kids, that they will see the peace that I get from this relationship and that it will inspire them to have it too.
Last night the high school ministry leader of our church shared this scripture with the kids as she discussed with them the pressures of the "party scene"....."Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33

Mom...Thanks for all that you did, and still do, to take such good care of Nick and I. You are an amazing mother. I have always loved the way you and dad raised us in such an open and honest and loving home. You taught us to be thoughtful, compassionate, passionate, expressive people. I LOVE YOU!!!

2 comments:

Chris said...

Great thought-provoking post Kim!

I've wondered about the same - but haven't had such a conversation, although I'd like to with my brother and my father at some point....
We didn't have a real church influence when we grew up either, but I can't fully say that my brother and sister and I all turned out as good it sounds y'all did - at least for my brother and I we did alright but quite more on our own.

What will be different for me and my wife in raising our kids? I hope so much. This is such a topic I really haven't thought about enough ...

Anonymous said...

Kimberly you continue to amaze and delight me!
I am so grateful that although we have our different points of view on religious affilations and beliefs, our mother/daughter relationship has not in any way been minimized or negatively affected.
I am so proud of the woman you are, the mother you are, and the thoughtful, loving, caring, responsible, reliable, nuturing, honest and fair person you are.
I am so very pleased with the peace of mind your church and your love of God has brought you.
To be your, and your brothers mother, has been my greatest joy, and I am thankful for the intimate connections we all share with one another.
Your father and I are very fortunate parents.
Loving you, Mark, and your precious girls with every cell of our being brings untold happiness to our lives.
Mom