Thursday, December 27, 2007

The Best Compliment I Have Ever Recieved

Mark and I went out for dinner last night. Over a delicious meal and a nice conversation, he gave me the best compliment I have ever received. He said "You are extraordinary at life!"
He continued on to explain that he thought most people look back on their life and wish that they did things differently. He guessed that most people wish they focused more time and attention on their family, on time spent with their friends, on their spiritual journey, on eating healthy and taking care of their bodies and on giving back to society. He told me that he was impressed by my priorities, my motivation and the way I lived my life focused on these things.
I was flattered, speechless and proud. But I couldn't really take all the credit.
As I began to talk about this more with Mark and reflect on my life, I realized that I have always tried to live my life this way. I have always had a pretty clear idea of what it takes to live life the "right way." But, honestly, up until the last couple of years, although I was close to doing it right, I could never really get it all together at the same time. I would be really good at this part for awhile, then really good at that part for awhile, but I fell tragically short of doing it all right at the same time.
Until I added God into the equation...AND PUT HIM FIRST. Once my faith matured a little and I truly handed my heart and life over to God, everything else seemed to fall into the right place. It was as if He truly completed me, made me whole, filled up all the empty places in my life and made the puzzle fit nicely together.
When I am right with God, when I am focused on Him, in communion with Him, when I am submitting to Him, when I am putting Him in control of my life, when I am truly trusting Him, when I am spending regular time in his word and seeking Him in every moment...life just works better. And when that is all true in my relationship with Him, I seem to have the blissful and sure feeling that this is what life is all about, that this is how it's supposed to be, that I am getting it right. And really, I can't take credit for all the goodness, because it's the God part of the whole thing that makes it work just right.
"But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control." Galatians 5:22-23

No comments: