Saturday, May 10, 2008

I Love You Mom

Mom,
I love you. You are such a good mom. There are so many qualities that you possess as a mother that I hope my girls will see in me.
You are so devoted and committed to our family. There has never been a moment when I didn't feel right in the middle of your lavish love. You have always made our family a top priority and we have always known and felt your love and loyalty. That was always so important to me growing up, just knowing that I mattered and that I was valued and important. That sense of security and praise that you showed me helped me to become a confident and comfortable woman, one who trusts and easily accepts love and is able to give love.
You were always honest and open and genuine. One of the things that Nick and I always enjoyed most about our family is that everything, EVERYTHING is up for discussion. Our home was always one where we felt we could ask and discuss, challenge and inquire and nothing felt that it was off limits. The dinner table always turned into a place where we talked openly about our days, about the issues we were dealing with, got good advice and felt that we were known and heard and understood. You always made us feel that home was a place we could really be ourselves and that you were the place we could come to with our problems. Your willingness to talk to us about things made me always feel safe and I only hope that I can be that inviting and brave and real with my daughters.
You are so thoughtful and giving. You always went out of your way to make us and others feel special. You are generous with your money and your time. Being that type of person to those in our family and even those not, showed me how to care for others, how to express my love, how to give of myself.
And you are compassion and emotion and big heart made Nick and I into the people that we are. I know that some of our ways are hard for you, like Nick's Peace Corps experience and my trip to South Africa...but you raised us into people that care, that really dig deep, that are moved to action, that are not okay with complacency. Being raised under your blanket of love and example taught us that it was okay to be ourselves and that is exactly what we are. Thank you mom!!
Kim

No comments: