Friday, May 23, 2008

Your List and Final Judgement

In Tom Davis's book, Red Letters, he poses a question, "Make a mental list of the top 5 things that matter most to you...Let me see if I can guess...Family? Friends? Your relationship with God? Safety? Security?...These are all good things...But here's the million dollar question...Do our lists match God's?...I wonder if the 5,500 Africans dying every day from preventable diseases are at the top of his list?...Surely they are...Jesus is interested in what we are doing with our compassion and acts of mercy. He doesn't care about how religious we appear. If our Christian faith doesn't manifest into something that helps the life of another human being, it doesn't mean squat to him."
In the Bible Jesus tells a story about the Final Judgement....."Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'
Matthew 25:34-40

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Kim, I browsed through your blog this afternoon and was so touched by what you are doing with Acres of Hope (I think that's what it's called). Where are they located in South Africa? The organization I work for, Children's Hopechest, does a lot of orphan care in Swaziland. We see so many dreadful abuses to children, and so naturally I am tremendously encouraged to hear your heart for those 2 girls that have gone through so much. I pray that God continues to blast open doors for you and for that ministry in Jesus name! : ) By the way, I am Hannah, Tom Davis (Red Letters, Fields of the Fatherless) sister in law. You quoted RL; that's how I found your blog. : )
Have a joyful, inspired day.
hannah@hopechest.org