Sunday, July 22, 2007

Coping Mechanism or Real Power?

My dad has been experiencing these severe pains in his chest/abdomnin. He's gone to the ER 2 times over the last couple months because the pain has been so bad. They haven't determined what is wrong yet, he is visiting doctors and running tests.
It's a scary thing, to get a call from your mom, telling you that your dad is in the emergency room. It doesn't matter how your day is going, at that moment, everything stops and the world seems very unbalanced. Your dad is the hero, the big and strong and safe force that took care of you and protected you. The thought of him being sick, or fragile, or hurt is awkward and uncomfortable. You feel weak and out of control and helpless, knowing that there really isn't anything that you can do to take care of your dad. Right? So wrong!
I have found such a peace in prayer. Before I believed in God, this was something that never made sense to me, and sounded like a big "coping mechanism" for weak people. But now that I know it and understand it, it's the most powerful and important tool and the first thing I do before I try to rely on my own strength or abilities to solve a problem.
I got the call from my mom about my dad. I hung up the phone. I prayed right then and there for the Lord to heal my dad, to bring my parents peace and comfort, to fill that hospital room with His presence and love, to guide the dr's and nurses and give them wisdom. I thanked the Lord for his love, his faithfulness, his power and the peace that He was bringing to me, even in that moment. I then emailed my friends and family who I consider to be my "prayer warriors" and requested that they do the same. And I still worried about my dad, I still felt anxious and afraid and unsure, but I felt confident that God, the Creator of the universe, had heard my prayer and the prayer of my "warriors" and was literally in that room with my parents.
"Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus."
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

No comments: