Tuesday, July 10, 2007

True Riches

A few weeks ago Mark and I were sitting across from each other at Starbucks on a Sunday evening. We were enjoying some quiet time before we were to meet with some women from a non-profit organization, Acres of Love, that we are considering getting involved with. This organization rescues and provides for abandoned AIDS orphans in South Africa. It is a cause that we feel particularly strong about and want to be of assistance to. And as we prepared for the meeting we discussed our own personal goals and wants and desires for involvement.
We both recognized that this really isn't the best time for us to become financially involved with any sort of charity. The truth is, money is really tight in our home right now. We are feeling the implications of my decision to stay at home with our children, and are missing that second income greatly. We have made major cut backs, have simplified in every area, and are on a very tight budget. There really is no wiggle room.
But Mark made a point that is still ringing loudly in my mind. He said, "It's funny, we have never been in a more scary or stressful spot financially. But I can't remember a time that we've ever been happier."
Before Mark and I had kids, we both made good money. We had a big home, drove luxury cars, wore nice, expensive clothing, spent a lot of money on travel, and entertainment and just about whatever we felt like. And we were happy....but missing something.
Now we are strapped, we are clipping coupons, driving more practical cars, not buying new clothes, not vacationing anywhere and trying to spend as little as possible all the time. And we are happy....really happy.
And we have reset our priorities, are committed to our family, are longing for more meaningful ways to contribute to society, are working hard in our faith, are truly enjoying the more important things in life like family and friends and good health.
I feel like God has taken this opportunity to really speak to us. He has gotten our attention in an area where we were off base. He has made things a little uncomfortable, made us work together as a team, made us vulnerable and appreciative and thankful. He has opened our eyes to ways that we can get involved with bigger issues, than our cars and clothing, and made us see that we still have so much to offer those who are truly in need. He is leading our family in a most exciting and fulfilling direction. I know that He has wonderful things planned for us, and I am anxious to see how it turns out.
In the midst of this financial stress, I have been praying diligently. I pray for strength in my faith and in Mark's, I pray that I will be a leader in my family, I pray that I will be aware of Mark's burden's and pressures and that I can be a source of relief and support and encouragement for him, I pray that God will give Mark rest and shoulder some of his burden, I pray for guidance from the Lord, the He will provide for us. And I give thanks for all that we have, for the ways in which we are blessed and taken care of. I praise God for his faithfulness, for his provision, for his constant work in our lives and for his love.

"Yet true godliness with contentment is itself great wealth. After all, we brought nothing with us when we came into the world, and we can't take anything with us when we leave it. So if we have enough food and clothing, let us be content. But people who long to be rich fall into temptation and are trapped by many foolish and harmful desires that plunge them into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil."
1 Timothy 6:6-10

No comments: