Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Power Of A Praying Parent

Mommy: So Katelyn how was your day today? What did you do with the other kids while I was at Bible Study with the mommy's?

Katelyn: We played Duck-Duck-Goose!

Mommy: Wow! I didn't know that you knew how to play that game. How fun!

Katelyn: But I never got a chance to run, cause the kids never picked me, and I don't know why, cause I'm a friend too!

I have truly never experienced a pain like this. Hearing my daughter's sweet, high pitched voice tell this story, so serious and concerned, brought on feelings and emotions that I have never had to confront before. She is the sweetest, kindest, silliest little girl with the most inviting, sparkly blue eyes. How could the kids leave her out? Why didn't they include her? What will I do in the future to protect her from the hurt that can come from her peers? What can I teach her, tell her, explain to her? How do you clean off that wound and prepare her for another situation that might hurt more? How do you send your kids out into the world, knowing that their sweet hearts might get broken? What do I do to protect my kids when I can't be there with them?
I thank God that I have found SOME peace in prayer. I have learned from the book Power Of A Praying Parent by Stormie Omartian that I do have some responsibility and power in praying daily for my kids. I pray diligently for their health and safety, for their protection from danger and harm, that their bodies and minds will be strong, that they will be confident and secure and well adjusted, that they will embrace life, that they will like school and learning and have good, kind and quality friends. I pray that they will be leaders, that they will have good character and strong wills. I pray that they will be good kids, with good hearts and kind spirits. And truly, my first and deepest prayer is that they will want to know God, that they will love Him and want to serve Him. I believe that if they do, they will then discover their true purpose, and they will love themselves, they will be happy and secure and good and kind and strong. It's a struggle, because as a parent you want to cling on to your kids and hold them tightly, but I think that if I let go just a little, and let God in to that embrace, He will look after them in every moment, even those Duck-Duck-Goose moments when I am not there!

No comments: