Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Congruent

Hi, my name is Kim...and I go to a therapist.
(That's always a little scary to admit!!)
I've been seeing her weekly for just about a year and it's been an awesome experience. I started to go because I found myself overwhelmed with the responsibilities of being a stay-at-home mom. The job was really getting to me and I was losing my patience, feeling anxious and stressed all the time and knew that this was not how I wanted to be as a mother. So I started seeing my therapist to get "my stuff" figured out so that I could be the calm, focused, effective, deliberate and perfect mother and wife that I wanted to be.
"What is perfect?" This was the question that my therapist posed to me all the time in the beginning. I had this very unrealistic idea of who I was supposed to be. How and why I got those ideas took a lot of time to uncover, but the work was well worth it. I began to see that I was trying to be this "someone" that I had dreamt up, and had never really learned who "I" was.
Over the course of a year, I spent time learning about the deep and honest truths of myself, spent time praying, spent time in God's Word, spent time in Bible study, spent time learning how to be healthy in diet and exercise, spent time looking hard at my priorities with money and status and material gain, spent time in deep conversation with my husband about the type of family that we truly wanted to raise.
This past Monday, I sat across from my therapist and reported all of the great things that are going on in my life. I was telling her how crazy it was that everything seems to be functioning at it's best, that all is well and good and right. I was beaming, confident, comfortable in my own skin. She said to me.....
"Kim....you are congruent. What is happening on the inside, is happening on the outside."
I realized that I had kinda gotten over myself. I discovered that the focus was no longer on who I wanted to be, because I was finally me. I was just myself, just Kim, and that was good. And because I was no longer preoccupied with all the figuring out, I could just spend time "being" and it really was working.

No comments: