Thursday, May 17, 2007

"Faith is not something you have, it's something you do"

I love that quote, and have spent the last year really trying to live it out. It is taken from page 29 of a brilliant book written by my pastor, Tod Bolsinger, called "Showtime, Living Down Hypocrisy By Living Out The Faith."
When I discovered God, realized my purpose and ultimately found my true love, peace and joy...I wanted to shout it from the mountain tops and tell everyone I knew all about it, so that they too could experience this awesomeness. But that would make me one of "those!" You know....those "born again, Bible banging, Jesus freaks." (and really, I am all of those, but I try not to show it too much, it scares people!)
And I especially wanted to get my husband on board. I wanted to teach him all that I was learning and have him be right by my side on this journey. Well he made it clear that he was very happy for me and supportive of my quest, but that he didn't have the same "fire" that I did. You have to remember, that he married a girl who was really "anti religion" and skeptical of all this "churchy" stuff. He was pretty awesome to be so open minded, and he really must have thought I had lost it. (We met at a fraternity party at San Diego State for goodness sakes....who was this new chick??)
So, I really had to pull back and keep my mouth shut, have my actions be a display of my new faith and just pray. It was my hope that people would notice the sincere change in me, that they would be able to tell that I was happy, and at peace, living with great purpose and reason. I clung on to Tod's messages of "living out my faith" and prayed that God would do the rest of the work.
Mark and I have come a long way. He has definitely noticed the major changes in me and has on many occasions praised me for my dedication and commitment. Last year for my birthday he gave me a bracelet with the words "INSPIRE" engraved on it and told me it was because I was inspiring people with my faith. PRAISE! (notice the name of my blog, thanks Mark!) And then for this past Mother's Day he gave me a card that said "Everyday you remind me how wonderful God meant love to be. Thanks for bringing us on this journey." PRAISE!!
Tod was so right. I put my faith into action, prayed for God to do the hard work, and it is happening right before my eyes. How cool is that?
"Preach the Gospel at all times....use words if necessary."

No comments: